Friday, October 8, 2010

...In Addition


My happy girls - before they got sick
    So I gave in and took the girls to the Pediatrician today. They have been fighting this cold since Tuesday and are miserable. I don't want to be one of those Mom's who take their kids to the doctors for every little sniffle, because, IMO, antibiotics are often way overprescribed. But...today was Friday, the green goopiness coming from their nose wasn't getting any better and they have begun to eat less. I have been doing everything I could to make them more comfortable (humidifier, saline nasal spray, using the "booger sucker," elevating the head of their cribs), but it just wasn't getting better. So I loaded them up and took them to see Dr. Shaw. Sure enough, both girls have pretty nasty sinus infections. They officially have their first prescription for antibiotics...amoxicillin. I just hope they aren't allergic to it like their aunts. I just want my little babies to feel better again.
    My job search has hit a brick wall. Two job interviews that I thought would yield great results, have so far still rendered me unemployed. The job at St. Mary's that I applied for was for a "rotating" position. Meaning I would work some day shifts and some night shifts. Well, at the final step of the interviewing process, they told me that they were going to make this a "straight night" position. Ugh. I just couldn't do straight night shifts with the girls being so little. I mean, I would wake up with the girls at 7-8am, and have to be at work from 7pm that night until 7am the next morning with no opportunity to take a nap. There is just no way with the girls' nap schedule the way it is now. I would be miserable, Tom would be miserable. It's not fair to my co-workers and patients either. Needless to say, I couldn't take it. The second position was one that I applied for back in July. It is for a "charge nurse" in an IVF clinic at Barnes. I finally heard something from them this past week and went through the whole interview process. They said they would be calling me with information within the next 24 hours. I was thinking "Great! This job pays great, it's Monday through Friday, no weekends, no holidays!" Well, within the hour they called me back, saying that I was "no longer under consideration" for the position. The nurse recruiter told me that they were looking for someone with at least 3 years of charge nurse experience. Okay. I have 2 years, so I told her that I have met every qualification on the job description. I caught this nurse recruiter in 2 lies basically. She was calling me a liar saying that the 3 years of experience was always a part of the listed job description, but I had printed out the said job description just hours before, and I can tell you, it wasn't on there. The more I talked to her about it, the more her story changed to "well, we just added it to the description today." The other lie I caught her in was that she told me that she has only been the nurse recruiter for this position for 2-3 weeks. Lie. When I sent in my application back in July, I had to call and talk to someone in HR because the format that my resume was in was all jumbled up. At that time they told me that this lady was the nurse recruiter for the position. So I'm not sure why she felt the need to lie? Maybe because I caught them with a screw up on their part with a job description? Oh well, I'm not as heartbroken as I thought I might be about it. I wouldn't want to work for an organization that feels the need to lie rather than admit their mistakes.
    I got an email last night from SSM regarding a position I applied for at Cardinal Glennon, saying that I match the criteria and someone should be contacting me by either phone or email soon. So here's hoping!

No comments: